Our Certified Conditioning Specialist course is designed to teach personal trainers and performance coaches how to physically train athletes at all levels and all sports. Coach Philbin’s training methodologies and applications have been scientifically proven over the past 30 years in every professional and Olympic sport. The curriculum encompasses all aspects of physical training, sports science, and will develop skill sets that will allow you to train any athlete from a high-level professional to an athlete just starting their athletic career.
Who should take this course?
The Certified Conditioning Specialist course is designed for professional personal trainers and strength conditioning performance coaches. We highly recommend that you have 2 years (AA) equivalency of exercise physiology and anatomy or NSPA-CPT. In addition, a minimum of 2 years of hands on training.
- NSPA CPT course completion or equivalent certification or education.
Current adult CPR certification. You may take the Conditioning Specialist course without having CPR certification; however, you must have CPR certification in order for your NSPA Certification to be valid.
A working knowledge of exercise science, muscle physiology, functional anatomy, the cardiovascular system, physical assessment, and nutrition.
- A working knowledge of exercise progressions, programming, perfect rep reproduction, understanding of plyometrics/olympic lifts, and yearly periodization schedule.
A working knowledge, as well as hands-on experience of spotting techniques.
Hands-on experience with physical assessments, prescription and programming is strongly recommended.
- The Personal Training Business / Increasing Your Revenue
- Client Retention / Communication / Ravening Fan
- Muscle Physiology / Anatomy / Sports Science Technology
- Injury Prevention & Care
- Speed Development / Agility & Athletic Movement Efficiency
- Explosive Power Applications including Core
- Soft Tissue Maintenance / Efficient Activation
- Special Populations Program Design
- Nutrition / Weight Management / Proper Supplementation
- Anaerobic Power Development & Stamina
- PNF Flexibility & Mobility Techniques
- Advanced Strength Training Methods and Applications
- Aerobic and Anaerobic Exercise Prescription / Energy System Utilization
- Manual Resistance Strength Training
- Proper and Safe Application of Plyometric Training
- Training the Advanced / Elite Athlete
- Sport Specific Conditioning Applications / Programs / Periodization
This course consists of two, nine-hour days, or as an 8 week course that meets one evening per week which includes lecture, hands-on instruction, and demonstration. Lectures are supported with practical application, emphasizing small group interaction and personal instruction conducted by NSPA’s Conditioning Specialist staff.
Certification Exam Information
- Written Exam Protocol: Definitions, Fill-in-the blank, Short Answer, Multiple Choice, Diagrams and Essay.
- Written Exam Results: 75% accuracy required for passing grade on Written Exam.
- Practical Exam Protocol: One-on-One Multiple Station Examinations: Blood Pressure, Skinfold, PNF Stretching, Machines, Free Weights, Manuals, and Plyometrics.
- Practical Exam Results: Two missed questions on any Practical section requires retesting.